Monday, September 07, 2009

Farming -- Day One

Tauni and I recently started buying organic and local. Yeah...we truly are THAT kind of yuppie.

Also, we decided to grow some of our own food, too. I'm going to keep track of how terribly this goes.

Here is what Day One looks like:



You'll just have to imagine what the watermelon seeds look like because I planted all of them, but if you look VERY closely, you can see all the other seeds. LOOK CLOSELY I SAID!



We are growing five things: Tomatoes, Carrots, Bok Choy, Corn, and Watermelon...



...but we are growing them two different ways to see which way works better. One way we are trying is inside these peat pellets....never thought I would ever use any kind of pellet...but here we are.






We are also trying to grow our food the "traditional" way, inside soil and pots. Notice how quickly our basil grew!






ok...ok...we bought pre-grown basil.

Wish me luck...I'm sure I'm going to mess this up!

4 comments:

ann marie said...

you need to start a compost pile and a worm bin. it will help improve your soil fertility.

gunnbr said...

I always use peat pots to start my seeds.

This year, I had a great crop of basil and parsley. I was a little disappointed with the way my tomatoes turned out. I'll have to try something different next year.

My neighbor goes to the dump to get free compost. He's been adding a bunch to my yard. I can try to get some for you if you want.

Michelle Panik said...

Good luck. I am two months into a crop of beets that is supposed to be harvested in 58 days and all they are nubs.

prez said...

It's not that easy being green
Having to spend each day the color of the leaves
When I think it could be nicer being red, or yellow or gold
Or something much more colorful like that

It's not easy being green
It seems you blend in with so many other ordinary things
And people tend to pass you over 'cause you're
Not standing out like flashy sparkles in the water
Or stars in the sky

But green's the color of Spring
And green can be cool and friendly-like
And green can be big like an ocean, or important
Like a mountain, or tall like a tree

When green is all there is to be
It could make you wonder why, but why wonder why
Wonder, I am green and it'll do fine, it's beautiful
And I think it's what I want to be