Sunday, August 30, 2009

A Circuitous Discussion on the Loss of MoJo and the Need for JoMo

Do you remember (or have you even heard of) Shakey's Pizza? They used to be a large pizza chain in the US, but alas, there are only a few left now, which I don't understand with great adds like this from the 80's. How could that commercial not save them? Hmmm...

Anyway, the reason I even started thinking about Shakey's is because of one of their delicious menu items that I remember eating frequently as a kid: the classic, the tongue-burn inducing, the twice-fried MOJO POTATOES.

Now this is going to sound odd and seem like a tangent, but stay with me here.

A few years ago, Darron and I used to drive by a place called Shaker's Pizza in Fremont when we both lived up in the Bay Area.

We joked that this had to be no coincidence, and that Shaker's Pizza was trying to use the previous coattails of Shakey's to gain popularity....and perhaps even sold JoMo potatoes in a-little-too-close-connection to its predecessor.

Perhaps Shaker's marketing strategy worked because they are still around, and at the pinnacle of their popularity, even made an appearance on THE Casual Critics Review of Fremont's Red Lobster. You know you've made it when you are a passing comment on a shit website's review of a DIFFERENT restaurant.

So why the hell am I mentioning all of this???

For about the last week, every time I try to workout, I feel this lack of energy, drive, desire...MOJO! I have nothing to tap into. No gas is in the engine...and much like all the Shakey's, I don't know where it went. I am getting desperate and looking for energy anywhere I can find it. Coffee. Bars. Gus. Crack. But nothing. My MoJo, for the last week at least, is gone.

Point being...I want my MoJo back, but if it's gone the way of Shakey's, I would seriously even settle for some of that Shaker's JoMo right now.

8 comments:

prez said...

Just saw District 9 last night. The Nigerian guy thinks that eating the prawns will give him their power. He was wrong.

But that was just a movie. This is real life. So perhaps eating Shakey's MoJo potatoes will give you mojo?

ann marie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ann marie said...

I'm guessing MoJo potatoes are not organic. . .

Michelle Panik said...

It Shaker's like McDowell's from "Coming to America"?

"I have recently been put in charge of trash. Do you have anything you wish to dispose of?"

prez said...

Or you could juice.

seeryanrun said...

wow, i've been away from the blogosphere for a while. i just had to speed read your adventures. that said, when i read that you had tried Gus, i found myself wondering who he was...though apparently he didn't work for you and i don't really need to know.

Manasse said...

"Gus" is my codename for "Ryan."

june cleaver said...

Oh. My. God. I loved Shakey's Pizza when I was a kid-we went there at the end of every sport season for the sport banquet... we also went there on Sundays, Mondays, Wednesdays, Tuesdays, and the occasional Thursday. Never Friday though-it was CRAZY on Fridays!

Thanks for stirring up my memory of the MoJo potatoes. Yum!