Thursday, February 19, 2009

Coach Steve: The Love Affair Continues

You know what true love is? You probably THINK you know how to define it, but I bet you don't. I realized what true love is this morning, at about 7:45 AM. In a pool.

There are many things I could say I admire about Coach Steve. I could say that I admire that he used the word "nooner" during a conversation with me today without cracking a smile. That is admirable.

Of course, Coach Steve was mentioning that he coached at NOON on Tuesdays when I asked which other days he taught. Only for a moment, did I hope for something more...more...nooner-ish.

I could also say I appreciate that he offered for me to come see him in the afternoons while he taught "his kids." I only imagine that he would have to "give me some pointers" in between telling little Johnny not to pee in the pool...and for Lucus, a seven-year-old hooligan, to "stop flashing his penis." I appreciated the offer. What a nice guy!

I could say that it made me ecstatic today that I was doing my fastest laps ever because of his hands-on tutelage. No man has ever taken such an interest in my hips and how I go about turning them. But his watchful eye made me ecstatic as I completed my first 57-second lap ever. In my life.

But all the ecstatic feelings, admiration, and appreciation in the world don't necessarily equal love.

So I ask again, do you know what love is?

While I stared up at Coach Steve this morning, while he towered over me, while I floated in a pool, while he gave me timeless advice...he had gigantic boogies in his nose, and they didn't even make me want to puke.

THAT is love, my friends. That is love.

9 comments:

Tauni said...

No booger play you lil' nasty!

Betsy R said...

Aw, don't get too fast. It sounds like I am losing my ocean swim buddy one Steve-coached lap at a time....

Manasse said...

No one said Steve was teaching me how to swim straight (pun intended)

Miss Nines said...

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little.

Middento said...

You know, I just Googled the Steve mentioned in the Y site and found a Facebook profile. And if the photo is any indication, um, he's a little young for you. I'm just saying...

Manasse said...

Ha...I saw that facebook profile, too. Clearly Steve is not a baby...and not MY Steve's profile to boot.

ann marie said...

does steve know that you and all your friends are stalking him?

Manasse said...

"Stalking" has such a negative connotation.

Can't we use "investigating"

Middento said...

*stalk stalk stalk*