Friday, July 25, 2008

The Name Game Gone Awry

So I run these teacher training sessions from time-to-time. Sometimes these sessions involve Americans trying to get a certificate so they can teach English, but other times, other times I am teaching foreign instructors how to teach English better back home in their countries. These are ALWAYS interesting classes.

You might not have known this, but there was a recent law passed in Korea that from now on, all English instruction now has to be in English...meaning they can no longer tell little Seoung Me Kim what a past participle is in Korean; they now must tell her in English. No easy task, to be sure.

So Korea is spending thousands and thousands of dollars to send their teachers to the US so they can learn how to do this for kids back home that don't know how to speak English in the first place, let alone how to understand while being taught in English. Hurray!

The best part about my job is when we get Korean teachers that have been teaching for 20 to 30 years, and THEY could care less about how to teach English using English.

I introduce to you Mr. Daeyoung. He is such a teacher.

One activity I use during teacher training is a very simple game that has a lot of grammatical applications. I won't go into the grammar here because I know you don't care, nor do I want you to know how much English grammar you know nothing about. Ha!

Regardless, this game is called "The Name Game." Here are the VERY simple rules:

Say your first name and something you like that starts with the same letter as your first name. The next person says the previous person's name and like; then, "does" him/herself. The third person, "does" the previous two, them him/herself, etc

For example:

Person #1 My name is Mark and I like milk.

Person #2 His name is Mark and he likes milk. My name is Darron and I like Donkey Dick

Person #3. His name is Mark and he likes milk. His name is Darron and he likes Donkey Dick. My name is Tauni and I like Titties.


That's it. As I said, it's a very simple game.

When it's Daeyoung's turn (he happens to go fifth in a class of 15 people), he dutifully gets the previous four names correct, and then says the following:

Daeyoung: And my name is Daeyoung and I like young men.

Me: Well....that's very...interesting Daeyoung, but you aren't really following the rules of the game. You see, you need to say something that starts with "D."

Daeyoung: daeYOUNG and YOUNG. This match.

Me: Um...well...you see Daeyoung...the rules...

Daeyoung: I understand direction...DAEYOUNG LIKES YOUNG MEN.

Me: OK...ok...you like young men.

And for the next 10 minutes, I get to listen to every other student say "And his name is Daeyoung and he likes young men."

Good times...good times....

7 comments:

BillS said...

Typically a Korean name consists of a family name followed by a given name. Although you've spelled his name daeyoung I suspect that in reality (if not on your roster) that his name was Dae Young where Young was his given name as a member of the Dae family. Here's more info:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_name

Now I question the use of his first name as a word in the next response - for example he could have said "Young likes yellow" but perhaps this was his opportunity to come out of the closet for a short time.

McNastabator said...

I've worked with about, oh, over 1000 to 2000 Koreans.

I knows hows the names works without even looking on wikipedia.

Point being, some choose to play the name game with the family name, while others with the given name, still others with an American nickname.

This guy was just being a weird-o.

seeryanrun said...

Wow. Is Daeyoung a stage name for Michael Jackson?

daeyoung said...

I mad at you Professor Manasse. You humiliate me to whole world on internet. I see you in court! When you insult Daeyoung, you die young!

Tauni said...

Tauni does like titties

ann marie said...

I like young men too. Wait. . . that's wrong. I'm sorry. My name is Ann Marie and I like ATTRACTIVE young men.

Do I get a cookie?

McNastabator said...

Daeyoung: Suck it

Ann Marie: Another student whose name is "Ho" (I'm not kidding, her name is "Ho") said she wanted "A Hot Young Man." I told her that she was in luck...I was chosen to be her teacher. Is it bad comedic karma if I use that joke on you, too?