Friday, June 20, 2008

A Triathlete's Guide to the English Language

No, I haven't written in awhile. I'm glad we got that out of the way.

As long as I am going to blog, I thought I would help some of my fellow triathletes out. I have noticed time and time again the past few months that a lot of people don't know how to correctly speak about their work out activities.

For example, the following statements are wrong:

I haven't ran for a few days.
I have swam a mile before.

We unfortunately still have this thing called the past participle in English...if you choose to use it or not is really up to you. In case you were curious:

The verb run is conjugated: run ran run and
The verb swim is conjugated: swim swam swum.

I know you don't care...but I just thought I would let you know. So in the future try "haven't run" and "have swum" on for size.

Nothing is sexier than correct grammar.

5 comments:

ann marie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
ann marie said...

Next time, Mark discusses the difference between an adjective and an adverb. Spoiler: "I ran good!" is incorrect.

seeryanrun said...

Hey:

"The verb run IS conjugated."

Dude, don't you proofread?

McNastabator said...

Of course! What are you talking about?

He he he

prez said...

I beg to differ with your final statement.

Pre-pregnancy Jessica Alba in a bikini top and boy shorts is sexier than correct grammar.