Friday, April 11, 2008

Triathlon Blog #9: Triple Crown Me in 3 hours and 9 minutes (Serious Edition)

Right before I moved to San Diego a little more than three years ago, I attended a Team in Training meeting in San Francisco. At that meeting I heard the terminology "triple crown" for the first time. A "triple crowner" was someone who successfully completed a marathon, a century ride, and a triathlon with Team in Training. I thought that sounded kind of neat...but I knew I was moving, and I didn't have time to get into that. I knew, though, that I would do that....one day.

A few years and a few races later, I have done it....and I have to admit that when I got to the last mile of the triathlon, I got emotional. Three years of my life were spent going towards a goal that I wasn't really sure about. People ask, of course, "why a marathon" or "why a century ride" or "why a triathlon?" In retrospect, I don't know. I could give some cursory responses like "to see if I can" or "to prove it to myself" or "to raise money for cancer research" but I don't know if that's it. What is it within any of us that pushes us to wake up everyday and do the things we do? I am torn between the fact that I am perhaps distracting myself from bigger issues that I don't want to pay attention to much more than the fact I am pushing myself to succeed.

So yeah, three years of my life culminated last week and I walked around with a smile knowing that I showed me something, even if I'm not 100% certain what that something is. I also know that I want to do a half-iron man...and one day, a full. Again, I'm not really sure why...but I guess if my motivation is "to see if I can" or as base as "a distraction," it doesn't really matter. Whatever pushes me to do these things is pushing me to feel and think things I never knew were possible.

I tri because I can.

2 comments:

tinou said...

congrats

prez said...

Wow... a culmination 3 years in the making... I thought I read something about an eruption in Hawaii last week....