Friday, January 25, 2008

The World is All Mixed Up and Shit

So a few weeks ago, I talked to my boss at work about fundraising for my triathlon...and man, did I have a GREAT idea, so I thought. I asked about the possibility of me "Cross Dressing For A Cure." Meaning: if I reached my goal of raising 6K, I would go to school in drag for one day. I thought this would be kind of funny and a great incentive. Who wouldn't want to see their professor in drag?!?!?!?!

But oh no!

This might be considered offensive to some, she warns. And we have to be sensitive to the needs of others. That's fine. I get it...so I let it go.

At our department meeting yesterday, a department which includes a man who is in the middle of a sex change (he has the top of a woman now...I'm not sure about the bottom), my dean made these two slip ups while talking to this person:

See, he's nothing...I mean she's nothing but trouble. and
He's fully aware...oops, sorry, I mean she's fully aware of the situation.

Life is about experiences and what we learn from them.

I can honestly care less about what gender my co-worker is: man, woman, both, it doesn't matter to me. But I learned that I cannot cross dress for a day in hopes of raising money to cure blood cancers because I might offend someone else, but a co-worker can get a sex change and cross dress on a daily basis and it doesn't matter who he/she might be offending.

I don't want to get my panties (or manties) all in a bunch, but this just seems odd to me.

Anyway, enough of this. I gotta go because my bra is killing me...stupid underwire.

2 comments:

Chris said...

Change the incentive. If you raise 6K, you have to get a sex change. Win-win.

Tauni said...

I totally disagree with you Chris. If we change the incentive and he raises 6K you have to get a sex change :)