Friday, January 11, 2008

The Weather is Gonna Getchu...if the Media Doesn't First

Anyone else tired of hearing about all the weather catastrophes recently...since when did weather become the new Taliban, killer bee, or man-eating shark. I swear, every year, the media finds something new to harp on...

When I was a kid, it was acid rain. Acid rain was going to burn all our skin off. The next major "scare" I recall were killer African Bees that were going to come up through Mexico and sting us all to death. "They are very aggressive," you see. And let's not forget the Communists...the wanted us red or dead. On and on and on. As long as I can remember, there has been something on the way to the US that was going to kill us all.

And don't forget about anything dealing with money. I remember the media predicting the dot-com bust...and stocks plummeting...and housing tanking...and it seems, they always start reporting on it BEFORE this shit happens. It's almost like a mind trick.

The Media Whispers: "Hey...don't look now...there is a recession coming" and guess what, it does. Weird. You keep telling people the economy sucks before it really does, and then we all start to believe it. I am no longer sure why things happen...because they were supposed to or because the media (Rupert Murdoch) says they were supposed to.

I wonder what would happen if the media, starting today, just reported that the housing market was turning around. For months...they just said "We were wrong. It's all good." Would things reverse themselves with this positive spin?

There's only one way to find out.

3 comments:

Lali said...

I try the positive spin on my boyfriends and it doesn't work - everything still turns to shit. Yeah, yeah, maybe it's just me...

prez said...

I'd prefer that YOU get me... *wink*

Chris said...

The housing market really is tanking though, unlike all of those killer bees. And there is a really good explanation for it too. And the press didn't catch on until about 12 months after it started tanking...