Friday, December 21, 2007

Triathlon Blog #2: Swimming vs. Drowning

<-- That's me...at least, that's how I feel. I get in a pool, my arms rotate, my legs kick, my lungs fill and then release air...yet I slowly move through the water like fifty-pound weights were attached to my limbs, and I don't know why.

In theory, I know there has to been some rhythm or pattern, to make me more efficient, but I don't know what the hell it is. Is it arm-arm-arm-breathe-kick? How about kick-arm-arm-kick-breathe. The permutations are countless...and although I am happy I can (1) swim up and back, (2) not swallow water, and (3) not die, I am looking for a little more here.

Swimming tips appreciated, please...

And don't forget to donate to Team in Training, which is why I am even torturing myself in the first place: Helping Mark Not Drown

2 comments:

Bill said...

I was on a recent ride and talking with a triathlete... he mentioned his Christmas gift was a new Tri specific wet suit. Apparently it varies betwee 2 and 5 mm thickness with the joints being thiner to provide a bouyancy and speed benefit to the wearer. Apparently unless it is a no-wet suit tri - there are no rules related to the bouyancy provided by your wet suit.

McNastabator said...

No wetsuits for this tri. =(