Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Has anyone seen the movie "Election?"


Election is a movie starring Matthew Broderick and Reese Witherspoon. In brief, he's a bored-with-life teacher, and she is an over achieving high school student. It is definitely a dark comedy...and Witherspoon ends up screwing up Matthew Broderick's life. It's funny...not HA-HA funny...but it is definitely worth seeing.
Anyway, I have been thinking about this movie a lot recently. There is this one poignant scene where Matthew Broderick is shown teaching...at first at a younger age...and he is very enthusiastic about what he is doing...then they flash forward a bit and he is older and teaching the same thing and he is a little less enthused...and finally they show him middle-aged, teaching the same thing STILL...and he looks terrible: haggard...tired...worn out.
I have striven for years to get to the point where I dont need to create materials every day for my classes...and I have finally gotten there. This semester, I rarely had to create new activities...mostly just tweaking or simply copying what I have done in the past. Then I started getting this feeling...this I'm not doing enough feeling...not enough innovation sensation. I'm a hack...a hasbeen...a never will be.
Or maybe I'm just pissed none of my students look like Reese Witherspoon?
Hmmm...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You don't love what you do? You don't see all the good you do? The lifes you touch Mr. Hollands Opus?

McNastabator said...

Not sure that's what I wrote about.

Anonymous said...

I could understand what you're saying, but I have to say your students may know you're copying what you've done in the past even though they have never done it before. They may feel like you're not the same kind of teacher as the teacher you were. For the reason, a teacher is the hardest job in the world, i think.

Ron Southern said...

Be careful about Reece Whitherspoons of the world. For that matter, be wary of Reese's peanut butter cups.

McNastabator said...

I need to be careful about both! One makes me swell up and break out in hives, and the other is a terrible candy bar.

Ron Southern said...

Either one can make you swell up. One is pretty good, the other better!