Thursday, January 18, 2007

Life is a Fragile Thing

For the second time in my life, I got to call people to tell them about a serious accident that happened to a loved one. What is one supposed to say when leaving messages about a father in need:

Hi, I hope I have the right number, but your dad is in ICU.

To the point, but pointless.

My roommate went to the emergency room the other night, and he is presently still there. I don't know what's wrong with him, but I have now spoken to his closest family members more than I have spoken to him in the past six months. He is such a nice guy, but I honestly don't know anything about him.

I don't know his medical history.
I don't know any medication he is on.
I don't know where his family lives.
I don't know where his wallet is.
I don't know where his cell phone is.

I don't know these things at 2:00 AM when questioned by paramedics.

I don't know them at 12:00 noon the next day when trying to sort his life out for him.

Calling into his work to let them know why he isn't there. Finally finding an old cell phone and piecemealing the small tidbits I know about his life together to find a relative.

I didn't like doing this when it involved my dad. I didn't like doing this when it involved my roommate.

Life is a fragile thing. And I just don't like talking about it.

4 comments:

Tauni said...

It is amazing how many things we take for granted every day. Life is short and things like this always remind me to cherish every day (and make sure my emergency contact information is up to date)

prez said...

It's a tough thing, but you're a hero for calling 911... Hopefully he pulls through.

Lali said...

May we all have Mark by our side when we need help the most...

Lali said...

Blogs please.