Saturday, August 27, 2005

I got ten job, man.

So there has been a call for more blogs...and there are two things in life that I won't stand for, injustice and an unanswered call for blogging.

I actually have many more blogs than it seems...I have many drafts that I have simply failed to post. It seems that I suffer from a far worse disease than the dreaded pre-mature bloggeration (See Darron)...I am a pleasure delayer blogger, or P.D.B for short. Maybe one day when I die...the unpublished blogs will be worth a ton of money. They may also be worth a ton of crap. Guess we wont know until I die.

Anyway, I blogged in the past about not having a job... Well, that has changed. Over the course of the past few weeks I have actually been accused of being Jamaican (so many jokes there) and every time I talk to Darron he asks me the same question "If you were gay, would you find me attractive?" But more on point, he also asks me, "How many jobs do you have now?"

Hmmm...I don't know...let me count them:

(1) San Diego State University Professor: I taught English here for the summer in the hopes of trying to pick up a few classes for the fall. I don't know if that will happen or not. I have the possibility of teaching writing or ESL.

(2) Miramar College Professor: I will be teaching English here on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I had a meeting last week where I was told by the VP of the School, the Dean of my department, my department chair, the Dean's secretary, and the ESL coordinator to make sure to lock my classroom door when I leave and to "Set the alarm code." We even had a special policeman speaker come in to coach us on how to use the security codes. This all took course over the span of about 3 hours and 55 minutes. For five minutes we talked about other important things such as how to get our copy codes and what to do if your leg falls off.

(3) Grossmont College Professor: I will also be teaching at this college on Tuesdays and Thursdays. This is going to be a challenging class, high-level grammar and writing for ESL students on the brink of taking English 101, etc at the collegiate level. This will be no cake walk...three hours/class. I haven't been apprehensive about teaching a class since maybe my first one about 6 years ago. This is seriously going to be A LOT of work.

(4) Field Rep for Westminster Financial: This lovely job is Sunday through Thursday night, approximately from 4 to 8 PM. I have a service area where I get to go to people's homes that have defaulted on their mortgages and see if they want to refinance and/or sell their homes to our company. This is seriously the weirdest job. The reaction I have gotten from people has ranged from "Oh thank God...thank you so much..." all the way to SLAM (that's the door being shut on my face). I like to look at the job as a way of helping people in financial need...but I get lied to SO much and some people are so down right rude, the thankful ones almost get lost in the shuffle in my mind.

(5) Teacher Trainer for Oxford Seminars: On three consecutive weekends, I teach people how to be ESL teachers from 9 AM to 5 PM. Of course this is not a skill anyone can learn in three weekends...but I don't think these people that take the class care. This school is run by Canadians, and they have entrusted me with opening up their San Diego and Orange County schools. Not a bad gig, eh?

(6) Director of Marketing for Party Puppy: Yes, I am in charge of all the marketing aspects of this company that throws dog parties. I have blogged about it before. I do this in my "spare: time.

(7) Director of Marketing for San Diego Pet Search and Rescue: I am also in charge of the marketing for this very useful organization. If someone loses or has his pet stolen, we find them! I bought fun neon orange vests for us today....and I get to wake up at 6 AM on a Sunday to do a search tomorrow morning! It doesn't get any better than this.

That's it for now. If I get any more jobs...I will blog about it right away. I don't know why, but I felt oddly stressed when I woke up this morning.


M

PS: On a weird side note...I find it interesting that when you spell check...none of the derivatives of "Blog" are recognized on the blogger.com website.

2 comments:

prez said...

Your blog title says ten job. I only count seven job.

Also, if you were gay, would you find me attractive?

Jinxkat said...

...and that's why it's a good thing he's teaching English and not Math.